Shinde is nestled on a lush palm dotted Falcon in the heart of the northern Okavango Delta. Located at the edge of a lagoon, it is surrounded by clear waterways, which flow over yellow sands and past palm-fringed Falcons teeming with birdlife and game. This is a photographer’s delight. Its remoteness has ensured that the innocent wildlife has not been subject to the pressures of mass tourism.
The Falcon is especially favored by members of the antelope family, including the elusive sitatunga whose elongated and splayed hooves enable it to walk on the unstable beds of reeds floating on the water. Our well-equipped delta craft may take you on an interesting trip where you will see fascinating breeding colonies of herons, egrets, pelicans and storks. Your guide will arrange walks; show you insects, as well as a wide variety of bird life and game.
Shinde’s abundant wildlife and the silent waters of the Okavango combine to make your stay a rare experience indeed!
Accommodation at Shinde Camp: Eight large, twin-bedded safari style tents with windows. Private en-suite bathroom with hot and cold running water, a lavabo, shower, and flush toilet. Even hot water bottles to warm your bed at night during winter. Shinde accommodates only 16 guests in total.
Shinde Camp, commonly regarded as the finest location in the Okavango Delta, has developed a section of the camp for private use ~ The Enclave.
Here, there are three new tents, elevated on teak platforms overlooking a vast papyrus and reed expanse dotted with palm Falcons where frequent sightings of the elusive Sitatunga occur. Guests may reserve the Enclave section of Shinde Camp for private use.
The Enclave includes a private boma and a private bar / dining area / lounge overlooking the lagoon and a waiter/barman specifically assigned to this facility. A senior guide hosts guests and will escort them on private game activities: morning, afternoon and evening game drives, game walks, mokoros, motor boats and excellent fishing. The minimum reservation is for three nights.
The Enclave is contracted on a flat fee basis; occupancy of this exclusive area is limited to six guests. The rates for private occupancy of the Enclave are seasonal.
Activities at Shinde include:
Game drives are in Toyota Land cruisers which have been designed as follows:
- » Specially built for game viewing and photography
- » Completely open seating areas and cabs for unhindered photography
- » Seat pockets, reference books, bottled water, toilet paper and insect spray
- » Cool box for refreshments
- » Maximum occupancy of seven
- Game viewing in Mokoros (local canoes)
- Swimming in the camp’s in-ground swimming pool
- Extended late afternoon Game drives for viewing after dark
- Power boating and sunset rides
- Boat trips to Gadikwe Falcon roost (approximately one hour away)
- Fishing for tiger fish, bream, catfish, pike, and silver catfish with spinning lures.
Shinde Camp Facts:
- A land based Camp with water activities
- 8 Safari Tents accommodating a maximum of 16 people
- Shinde Enclave has 3 Safari Tents accommodating up tp 6 people – and is only available for a family or small group of friends
- Electricity is generator powered
- Showers are hot water heated by gas
- Video and camera charging possible
Safari Activities: Game Drives, Mokoro Excursions, Motor Boats, Fishing
Share on Social Media